The Office of Family Assistance, through the National Responsible Fatherhood Clearinghouse (NRFC), provided this technical assistance webinar for all responsible fatherhood practitioners, including current OFA grantees, and other interested stakeholders.
Fathers participating in fatherhood programs are often faced by a number of personal issues that act as barriers to achieving parenting, relationship, and employment goals. One of the most significant of these issues is substance abuse. This webinar shared lessons learned from the field and tips to help fatherhood practitioners identify issues and work with fathers to resolve substance abuse problems.
Goals of Webinar: Participants will improve their knowledge and understanding of:
- Techniques for identifying substance abuse problems.
- Ways to help fathers acknowledge, and commit to dealing with, substance abuse problems.
- Tips for helping fathers resolve substance abuse problems.
- Utilizing peer support groups and connections with program staff to help fathers overcome substance abuse issues and strengthen family relationships.
- Establishing effective referral networks.
- Resources for fathers and practitioners who work with them.
- Ted Strader, Executive Director, Council on Prevention and Education: Substances (COPES), Louisville, KY
- Andrew Gaddy, Program Coordinator, McDermott Center/Haymarket Center, Chicago, IL
- Nigel Vann, National Responsible Fatherhood Clearinghouse
Patrick Patterson, National Responsible Fatherhood Clearinghouse
Do you have something you think is appropriate for the library? Submit Library Resources.